Saturday, September 6, 2008

Review: Kick Ass #1-3

Sometimes I'm not too far behind the 8-ball. So writing a review of the first three issues of Kick Ass now is not incredibly dated as the series launched not even six months ago. Mark Millar really surprised me as I wasn't a giant fan of "Wanted". Not that I'm saying "Wanted" was even in any way poorly written, but to me it simply "exists". So again, when I say that he surprised me, it's because the story felt a lot more grounded, by having no real super heroes to speak of in the story so far, which is something I can right away get behind as a major part of the story.

Kick ass follows a seemingly introverted high schooler as he dons a costume to fight crime in his city much like the superheroes of comics that he idealizes. The crime he seeks to put a stop to, however, fights back very hard. And so follows the plot so far of Dave Lizewski, who gets hospitalized after his first crime-fighting escapade. After rehabilitation, both physical and mental, he is compelled to put on his scuba outfit and play the good Samaritan again, this time his actions get him on YouTube and he is propelled to national stardom almost overnight.

If the art looks vaguely familiar, it's because Romita Jr. has done some of the major Marvel heroes, such as runs in Iron Man and Hulk. The hyper violent story is illustrated with no holds barred as blood practically leaks out of some of the pages when Dave gets into a few of his scuffles. I gasped at the panel seeing the hero get stabbed in the chest and the copious amount of blood that followed. Romita Jr.'s approach in a panel like this shows what can only be exaggerated bloodshed, but in turn showing the real horror behind the violence that the main character was oblivious to as he is in the real world, and not in one of his comics.

So not only is this a book to watch, but it's apparently hard enough to find as it is. I snagged the last one available at my new spot today. That's not to say that there are not more on the way, but I am excited to see what happens to Dave Lizewski next, and I'm sure after devouring this small volume you will be as well.

Bottom Line: Buy!

No comments: