Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday Blurb(s)!

Congratulations on making it through another week relatively unscathed! I've decided to change things up here at Electrical Eyebeams! a bit until I find the format that works the best, although I do think I'm getting there. So starting on Monday, I'll be starting with editorials about Comics, Film, Art, or Video Games (trying to keep things pertinent to what is going on at the time in each respective medium). Fridays, however, are going to be the days where I just mention a few things that caught my interest throughout the week, here is the test for it today.

Bethesada has launched a Flash based website to promote the upcoming release of Fallout 3 that plays like you're watching an old TV, but this clever marketing campaign shows that Bethesada really really really does not want this game to fail. They've gotten the guys at Penny Arcade on board to produce a weekly strip about a person's escape from one of Fallout's famous "Vaults". When a game with a production team and lead time (getting on to be four years now!), there is quite a lot at stake for this game to come out of the gate and be completely terrible.

The comedic stylings of the people at the Minus World have redone some now famous/popular games as if they were to be released on the Atari 2600. A system I had the chance to play a handful of times when I was about six. The images are high-fivingly awesome though, my favorite being the redesigned cover for one of my favorite games of the last year, Bioshock.

Last bit of news for the week covers a comic I had not yet heard of, but as a work of fiction (or conspiracy theory if you're into that) about "the Church"has been coming out long enough for there to be published volumes of it, so I'll be picking this up as soon as possible. The art that I have gotten to check out looks awesome; Juan Ferreyra really grabs that style that is slightly reminiscent of The Venture Brothers and applies it to Arvid Nelson's story of a monk involved in some kind of a Holy Grail conspiracy. I have not seen this in any of the local shops (the publisher has changed hands from Image to Dark Horse not too long ago), but I've never been looking for it either. Regardless, when a volume is found, a review will be done on how well the story and art pull together. Arvid has been writing and producing comics since college though, I guess that is an important note since everyone seems to be concerned with "experience" these days.

No comments: