Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A toaster falling out of a six story window and hitting you in the head is a tragedy...

An interesting state to be in is busy. Time tends to move fast, sometimes too fast to the point that gets away from you like sand from your grasp. It's now been nearly a year since I've been working somewhere that can effectively be deemed "a grind". Yes some peoples jobs are tougher or more weighed down by stress, but this is my experience for my tween years and like all the predictions or forewarnings I received, this part of it sucks.

The amount of distratctions I keep as blinders for the mundane nine to five are getting up there, thankfully creating these hobbies/distractions is not something I mind in the least. The most recent one is X-Box 360 Live. Now Call of Duty 4 is the only game I have that I can play against other people, who are no strangers to throwing out ethnic slurs in a somewhat anonymous fashion. I've been rising through the ranks, since CoD4 is what you could deem an RPG FPS where you level up based on completing certain challenges and by earning points in the usual multiplayer fare. I've been having a good time with it, however, being able to maintain a 1:1 kill to death ratio is all I can ever hope to do. At this point, I'm no stranger to getting owned by a 14 year old or younger with an angsty head shot.

I got to watch the film version of the Stephen King novella The Mist. From what I saw, and the premise that the story is based on, it's easy to see how it could've easily influenced video games like Half Life or even Doom. The military totally drops the ball when they screw up the "Arrowhead Project", opening an interdimensional rift in Maine causing a bunch of nasties to spill onto Earth's surface and kill pretty much everything. The creatures range from a swarm of tentacles to creepy spider like creatures that shoot acid webbing and lay eggs inside of people. It was entertaining to say the least, and I enjoyed seeing Thomas Jane (who I'm pretty sure is Aaron Eckhart 's clone or distant relation) beat the shit out of a Pterodactyl with a broom handle. This film's nods to Lovecraft got me interested in another medium that nods to the same thing, Mike Mignola's series of comics, whether it be Hellboy or the B.P.R.D. books.

As I'm pretty sure Baron's in Bridgewater is M.I.A., all of my comic shopping needs are now being met by going directly to the publisher, or random internet vendors of questionable intent that sell through Amazon. One person's perspective on "Like New" after all might be way different than mine, but what can you do. Eventually I'll figure out something where people are cool enough to give me these things for review, a friend of mine was able to get the Tartan Extreme film library under this pretense, hopefully I'll be as fortunate.

No comments: