Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I found a way out of the closing night...

An Evening with Mo Rocca: An Expert’s Guide to Sounding Like an Expert

Last night I had the chance for free to catch former Daily Show correspondent and PBS program “Wishbone” Producer Mo Rocca give a lecture. The theme of the night was not difficult to discern from the slideshow of various photos with commentary from Rocca, that sounding like an expert on things is as easy as learning a few key facts and being able to recite them confidently. He is a noted political pundit and commentator in areas where he has no recognizable expertise (i.e. Iron Chef America, CNN, etc.), but people have valued his opinion on the programs he has been on regardless.

Now I don’t want to read too deeply into this, but it seemed like he was almost saying, don’t trust anyone that says they’re an expert just because they’re being presented as one. Chances are they’re just good at sounding like one as opposed to being one. Ending his lecture with a Q & A, where he was able to name the capitals to countries I have never heard of, you could tell that even though his presentation was meant to be the sarcastic personality that many people recognize from The Daily Show and the I Love the XX’s programs, whenever he was asked a serious question about anything from politics to a possible “Wishbone” comeback he gave a seemingly honest answer and dropped the character for a bit. He is a really intelligent guy, or at least he’s an expert at how to sound like one.

So returning home I have been a fiend of music I haven’t been able to find in stores lately, and being someone that still believes in buying the CD for whatever strange OCD’ness, trolling the ITunes store hurts a little bit when it’s the only place to find a particular album. I’ve had to do this with Milosh’s Meme as well as a few others, including Kate Havnevik’s Melankton.

I found myself passing out to Kate Havnevik’s album last night, the one with all the songs on Grey’s Anatomy. Now having never seen Grey’s Anatomy, I do not know how these songs work themselves into the story, I’m sure during the serious montage type scenes, but it’s very chill for lack of a better word. The album is so chill that I had a dream of listening to my Ipod in bed while I was actually listening to my Ipod in bed. That sounds pretty Zen to me; unfortunately, I woke up in the middle of the night because I was actually lying on my headphones which didn’t feel too great. I give a thumb up for the album though if you’re into Electronica-Pop or whatever the hell genre this happens to fall into.

My NetFlix should be serving me a hot portion of more movies I have never seen before come today or tomorrow. I spoke with my friend Evan who has a subscription to the service and is also into movies to the same degree I am (albeit different kinds). He said that eventually you run out of movies to watch, but at the moment my 70 movie long queue has a ways to go before I have to deal with that life changing event.

I’m looking forward to watching the French film, “City of the Lost Children” because the imagery looks crazy and it’s starring Ron Perlman, a guy who could rival Bruce Campbell in B Movie status had he not been starring as Hellboy in the new series of films seeing a mainstream release. I’m pretty excited to be seeing “City” in the near future, knowing full well that it has influenced many people in different industries where creativity is widely practiced. That’s part of the reason I want to see/read Stephen King’s “The Mist” knowing it played a big part in the story development of such landmark video games as Half-Life and Silent Hill. That fan boy gushing is for another time though.






No comments: