Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Do you know how long it takes...?

My recent subscriptions to various magazines have been interesting. One of the more interesting points that was made somewhere among them by a rather reputable designer was to indiscriminately rip off a designer you like, at least in their style. Doing so will apparently help you develop your own style, that someday other young designers will rip off. I'm not trying to say that I'll ever be that good, but it's worth trying as I have been having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to solve my design projects.



It's an interesting approach to take into design, being a problem solver. Let's say that each problem is effectively a design project, and you have to solve it somehow by developing a design. I don't know if my head is currently capable of further developing this point, but I'm going to go ahead and assume most people get the general idea.



I picked up an older album by a band I was told I would love if I was a fan of bands like Coldplay and Snow Patrol called Slow Motion Reign. I have not listened to the entire album as much as I have been listening to the track "Shining Days", which has some fantastic vocal melodies, primarily something I look for in bands that have singing. Things are going to start getting real lonely around my apartment as I am the only tenant staying until the end of this month. Having an entire house to myself for a few weeks will be a bit on the creepy side.


No comments: